Hamstrings or Lower Back?14th May 2017
Stand Up Paddleboarding20th October 2017
How can Physiotherapy help treat your headache?
This month I would like to discuss how Physiotherapy could potentially help people who suffer with headaches.
When could a Physiotherapist help?
There are a number of different reasons why you may suffer with a headache, some of which can be quite serious, and a specialist referral may be required. Some of the triggers for headaches, which a Physiotherapist may be able to treat, are:
- After an Road Traffic Accident (RTA), where strained muscles of the neck, can cause radiating headaches
- Tension headaches, for example from sitting at a computer screen for long periods of pain
- Headaches caused through poor posture
- Headaches caused through stress/worry
How can a physiotherapist treat your headache?
- Through deep tissue massage, we can relax tense or strained muscles that may contribute to a radiating headache.
- Acupuncture techniques can be very effective for treating headaches, via releasing energy in common points in the body.
- Physiotherapy can also help to identify and treat stiffness in joints of the upper back and neck, which may cause muscle tension.
- Advice and education about posture can have a huge impact on joint stiffness and muscle tension, which can affect headaches.
- Advice about what affects, sleeping position can have on the neck and how to address them.
There will be times when your headache may not be caused by the triggers above, and may be more serious in nature. If you are in any doubt, it is always best to consult with your doctor, who can refer you to a specialist, if further investigation is necessary.